Emapaths are usually described as highly sensitive people or clairsenient. I believe that they refer to the same ability. An empath is a clairsentient and they are a highly sensitive person, they are accessing the same abilities just expressed in slightly different ways. They are thought of as walking sponges able to absorb emotional information in other people, however I think we can get a bit more specific and break it down a bit…
* This ability comes from life experience. The experience of a wide variety of lives and a lot of them stays with us as we continue incarnating.
* Empaths recognize vibrational frequencies in others that they have experienced. This happens through vibrational resonance with your emotional field.
* Foe example: The vibrational distortion of pain (yes, pain is a “distorted” vibration) is the same for everyone, the only things that is different is the experiences that created it, that is personal. it is the same for all emotions.
* empaths recognize the frequency in others, they feel it. It is feeling what other people feel. However the emotions that they feel are not the other persons emotions directly. It is their own emotions, their own emotions brought forward through resonance from the other person. This is not a well understood fact about empaths, but it is helpful to know because it takes the empath out of victim mentality. If you believe you are just this giant sponge picking up on what other people feel the empath can feel like a victim and become isolated, depressed and in constant search of protection.
* Ultimately empaths are not feeling other people emotions they are feeling their own emotions brought forward by the other person. They are your emotions which means you have the ability to control them.
* Empaths are usually older souls and this ability is due to their legacy of life experience. It is easy to have compassion and empathy to a high degree when you have been around the block. Compassion and Empathy are old soul traits.
The downside of Empaths:
There are a couple main downsides to being an empath and they both stem from misunderstanding and mismanaging the ability.
This is the shadow side of this ability and it means the ability is being mismanaged. If you are isolating yourself then your empathic abilities are running the show, you are not. If this is happening and you are withdrawing education is a must.
As mentioned above, these are your feelings you are feeling. They have been brought up by another person expressing this feeling. This happens so you can potentially deal with your own fears, it allows you to evolve much faster.
“This is not mine”. Control the ability by calling out what you feel.
The connection between people is commonly expressed in spiritual circles as unity consciousness, law of one, collective consciousness, blah blah blah. This connection is palpable for the Empath and there are times, like most of the time, when you do not feel like being accosted by other people’s emotions. When this happens its time to ask and get a baseline about what is happening. Start by saying out loud “This is not mine.” If it has originated from another person you don’t desperately need to work on it yourself it will disappear (the recognition that it is not yours cuts the feeling out at its root). Saying “This is not mine” is very powerful.
You can continue the inquiry by then becoming still and asking: “Where/who did this come from?”. Clear your expectations and you will get a sense of who or where it came from. You will be surprised where it comes from sometimes (its a little weird). Once you have an understanding of the situation, TRUST IT and let it go, and re-center yourself. The more you do this the smoother and easier it becomes and the more control you gain. It is a little crazy at first, sometimes the feeling will come back and you have to clear it again, this is normal. You are incorporating a new pattern and it takes consistency and commitment to do that. The more discipline you exhibit by calling out what you feel the faster and more empowered you become. Being an empath is not about being controlled by the ability its about mastering it and making it a tool in your tool kit.
Stonewalling – Denial of ones abilities.
This is the other shadow side of empathy and comes about from mismanaging this ability and not understanding it. I see stonewalling in people I recognize as being an empathic all the time. They actually become the opposite of empathic and seem as though they are completely disconnected. I see this often in people who hold a belief system that does not condone the ability they have. As a result they go about their lives in a very confused way where they act opposite to what they pick up in order to fit in and hold their limited belief system. I once met a man that struggled with this, he was incredibly annoying, he would constantly push peoples buttons and challenge them especially on metaphysics. I saw the conflict inside of him stemming from his refusal to recognize and manage his deep empathic ability. This made him a bully and spurred him to create the same conflict in his outer world. Another woman I met had this ability, however, her religion denied this ability was “godly” they said it was “not divine or natural”. She was constantly confused and could never understand what people meant or how they felt, she felt lost. This was because she had fundamentally rejected her own emotional reference point because someone told her it was wrong. Because she was not allowed to recognize her empathic abilities she was unable to interpret the world around her at all. This is because empathy is directly connected to our emotional bodies, its a sensitivity and deepening of them, not a separate entity.
Empaths feel accosted all the time by their perceptiveness. This often garners disorders in the the empath as they try to cope. Popular addictions such as: Overeating, Drugs, Alcohol, etc. They feel that this pattern creates a barrier between them and the world its a coping mechanism and a protection as well.
Alcohol and drugs create a mental fog and false emotional highs.
Over eating is an act of looking to feel safe and protected. They feel comfort in food.
Sometimes empaths cut themselves or create other physical pain in an attempt to express what they are going through inside. Especially if they are constantly perceiving aggressive and low vibrational emotions in their environment.
Talents and perks
Being an empath allows you to see beyond the surface, it gives you incredible depth. This depth makes empaths INCREDIBLY talented:
Poets, Actors, Writers, Healers, Psychics, Parents, Teachers, Artists, Policemen, Leaders, Politicians, designers,… the list is endless.
In fact I can’t think of one job where the depth of understanding and communication of a balanced empath wouldn’t come in handy. Your depth of perception gives you a leg up, you can feel where things or going or what people need therefore you can be one step ahead. The depth of character that someone has is often a trait that garners great respect in others. Sometimes it can be seen as the “Je ne sias quoi” or “I know not what”, that something extra someone has that makes them irresistible and intriguing.
Empaths also have a particular aura around them, a sense of compassion and understanding, people feel comfortable talking to them. They have an ease about they with people, which makes them a natural healer.
The responsibility of being an empath is great, but the rewards and skill to help and inspire others through this ability is greater.